HomeCare & Hospice of the Valley
Listing Expires on 06/15/2019
Position: Home Health and Hospice Nurse
Direct Supervisor: Director, Nursing Services and/or Assistant Director of Nursing Services
Promotes and restores patients’ health by caring for them in their homes. Provides physical and emotional support to Hospice patients and their families; the care is provided in either in patients’ homes or pertinent health care facility. Collaborates with physicians and multi-disciplinary team members; provides physical and psychological support to patients, friends and families; supervises assigned team members.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Performs initial assessment upon admission either to Home Care or Hospice
- Admits patients to either Home Care or Hospice service by accurate entry of patient information, admitting diagnosis and physician’s orders
- Develops and implements and individualized, realistic, goal and outcome-focused Plan of Care for each patient and updates the Plan of Care per department guidelines. Plan of care relates to admitting diagnosis and/or to changing needs of patient.
- Establishes patient care goals; teaches patient, friends and family to understand condition, medications and self-care skills; answers questions as they arise
- Completes 60-day updates and re-certs as required.
- Adheres to therapeutic standards, measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards, makes or recommends necessary adjustments, following HCHOTV’s philosophies and standards of care set by state board of nursing, state nurse practice act and Center for Medicare Services
- Resolves patient problems and needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations, requesting assistance from support personnel as needed
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures and controlled substance regulations
- Accurately documents patient care services by charting in patient records within 24 hours of visit
- Maintains continuity among nursing teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities and continuing needs
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential. Follows HIPAA guidelines
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance and informing Director of Nursing services of needs for additional equipment
- Attends educational programs presented by HCHOTV, establishes personal networks; participates in professional societies
- Demonstrates a working knowledge and compliance with all policies and procedures related to patient care and medication management.
- Assists with orientation of new employees and other duties to include Hospice training for other staff members.
- Attends 90% of morning Home Care calls and 90% of IDG meetings
- Collaborates with all team members, the attending physician and Medical Director in the ongoing review and updating of the Plan of Care for each patient
- Acknowledges internal and external customers with direct eye contact and courtesy.
- Greets and establishes rapport, shows courtesy and respect, actively listens and shows concern for their spoken and unspoken needs.
- Openly and respectfully receives feedback from clients; acknowledges their level of satisfaction and seeks to understand their perceptions and feelings.
- Demonstrates discretion in responding to issues of customer dissatisfaction, creating a positive memory of how the concern was handled.
- Follows through on commitments made to both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates respectful communication by speaking professionally and adjusting to the most effective communication style for various audiences.
- Actively listens and quickly establishes a rapport with all internal and external customers.
- Openly and respectfully receives and provides feedback from supervisor, peers, subordinates and all internal and external customers. (We talk to each other not about each other.)
Other Duties as Assigned
- Possesses current license to practice as a registered professional nurse in the state of Colorado.
- Current CPR verification.
- Minimum two years of varied work experience as a professional nurse and preferably one of the two years in an acute, oncology, home health, and/or hospice setting.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond to the needs of patients and families in varied settings.
- Demonstrated skill in nursing practice, ability to cope with family emotional stress and tolerance of individual lifestyles.
- Demonstrated ability to make meaningful observations and write comprehensive, accurate reports.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective support during patient/family visits.
- Personal vehicle for on-the-job transportation in all road and weather conditions, climate
- Provide proof of liability insurance on personal vehicle
- Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a fingerprint-based criminal history background check through the Colorado Bureau of Investigation
- Clear TB test
- Annual influenza immunization
- Visual/haring ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, which may include heavy lifting and extensive bending and standing
- Ability to deal effectively with stress
- Able to work a minimum of 40 hours/week
- Able to bend and stand an average of 6 hours per day
- Able to lift 50 to 75 pounds
- Able to write up to 3 hours/day
- Able to drive 50 to 100 miles/day
Please send your completed application with your resume to Human Resources
Fax: 970/927-6659 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail: HomeCare & Hospice of the Valley, 1901 Grand Ave, Suite 206 Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
HomeCare & Hospice of the Valley is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to non-discriminatory employment practices and patient services.
Benefits offered to our full-time employees are health insurance, paid time off, holiday pay, and 401k. Part-time employees are eligible for paid time off and holiday pay.