McCoy Peak Terrain Development

Vail Valley Partnership is the regional chamber of commerce, with over 850 members throughout Eagle County who collectively represent over 80% of the local workforce. We are dedicated to the economic vitality of the valley, and as such our board of governors – which includes residents & business operators throughout Eagle County – is committed to the economic vitality of the area.

Beaver Creek Resort is renowned for world-class on- and off-mountain offerings with a strong focus on families, and thus a protected family ski zone at McCoy Park is an important experience to create.

Beaver Creek mountain has been consistently rated as one of the top family-oriented ski areas in the country, demonstrated by growth in skier visits over the last five years by about 10 percent, with record skier visits in three of the past five seasons. Thus, the need exists to create the lift-served ski terrain at McCoy Park – an ideal location for a protected, safe, family ski and snowboard zone. Some key points:

  • The proposed Park is a significant example of Vail Resorts’ commitment to invest in its mountain resorts to elevate the experience for its guests and employees.
  • It is gentle terrain that will be separated from the rest of the mountain so that guests looking for a more relaxed, beginner and intermediate experience at a slower pace will enjoy it, and others won’t find themselves travelling through it on their way to another run or lift.
  • The proposal includes two lifts – the McCoy Park Express and an egress lift. Access to McCoy Park would be made possible via three proposed skiways from the top of Larkspur Express, Strawberry Park Express and Upper Beaver Creek Mountain Express.
  • New trails will be created to maintain a cross-country skiing and snowshoeing experience at McCoy Park separate from the downhill skiing terrain.
  • McCoy Park would add about 250 acres to the resort mountain’s skiable terrain. The project would develop 17 trails, the majority of which would be “groomable glades.” Approximately 75 percent (190 acres) of this terrain would be rated beginner, with the remaining 25 percent (60 acres) rated intermediate.
  • Currently, only 19 percent of the mountain is beginner terrain.
  • Importantly, no summer activity is planned in the area, and existing elk calving closures will be maintained.

We want to ensure our community can remain competitive to support our business community and provide continued economic vitality. We encourage you to support the common-sense application for McCoy Park at Beaver Creek Resort to enhance our visitor experience and continue to position Beaver Creek Resort as a top destination for family ski travelers.


Chris Romer

President & CEO

Vail Valley Partnership